Steel Cut Oats
Overnight Steel Cut Oats – this time-saving, healthy, overnight oats recipe is courtesy of the amazing @choosingchia. Oats have stood the test of time, and still rise to the top when you talk Superfoods. There are many health benefits to eating oats. Aside from being gluten-free, this whole grain is a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.
What is the difference between regular oats and steel cut oats? It comes down to how much the oats have been processed. The benefits of steel cut oats exceed the benefits of rolled oats because of the way they are processed. Steel cut oats are dense and chewy as a result of being passed through sharp, steel blades that cut them into thin slices that help retain more fibre and protein. Steel cut oats, just as any whole oats, make a healthy addition to your regular diet.
The only downside to Steelcut oats… they take longer to cook!
Say goodbye to waiting for your oats to cook in the morning! These overnight steel cut oats will save you time in the morning and make the perfect healthy breakfast! Enjoy these oats at home, or in a jar to take on the go!”
Jess – recipe creator, aka @choosingchia
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats (gluten-free if needed)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Add the water and almond to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the oats, salt, cinnamon and maple syrup, reducing heat to medium and stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pot with the lid.
- Let sit on your stovetop or in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning enjoy the oats as they are or heat them up!
- Add a splash of almond milk to the oats in the morning if they’re too thick.
- Transfer the oats to mason jars in the morning for the perfect breakfast on the go.
- Power up your oats by adding chia seeds, hemp seeds or flax seeds to them!
For another healthy breakfast recipe, especially for the weekend… try these Buckwheat Pancakes!
For more inspiration from Jess, check out her blog!