CRANBERRY NUT ROAST
12g carbs per serve
This rich nutty roast with cranberries is meat free and doubles as a savoury side. It can be made ahead and warmed in the microwave or oven on the day. We used a cast iron terrine 24cm long x 7cm wide x 6cm deep.
15g porcini mushrooms, dried
25g ground flaxseed
50g red onion
2 cloves (10g total) garlic, fresh
50g leek, white part only
700g mushrooms, fresh
2 teaspoons (10ml) tamari
70g sunflower seeds
50g almond meal
50g pistachio nuts
50g pecan nuts
50g parmesan cheese, grated
25g dried cranberries
10g parsley, fresh
2g sage, fresh
1g thyme, fresh
3 teaspoons (5g) Italian dried herbs
½ teaspoon (3g) sea salt
1 teaspoon (2g) black pepper
1 tablespoon (20ml) coconut oil
1 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil spray
200g cranberries, fresh or frozen
3 tablespoons sugar substitute of choice or xylitol (48g)
1 teaspoon (2g) orange zest
2 tablespoons (40ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease a terrine or loaf tin well with the coconut oil.
- Cover the porcini mushrooms with water and soak for about 30 minutes.
- Pulse the onion, leek and garlic in a food processor and lightly fry in a non-stick fry pan for about 3 minutes.
- Pulse or chop the fresh mushrooms until diced and add to the pan.
- Retain some sage leaves for garnish then pulse or chop the remaining fresh herbs, add to the pan with the tamari and cook until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Pulse or chop all the nuts, seeds and cranberries, then add to the mix with the cheese and dried herbs.
- Drain the porcini mushrooms, discard the water then chop or pulse briefly and add to the mix with the flaxseed, almond meal, water, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- In a small saucepan heat the cranberries, orange juice and zest, and the sugar substitute until the juices flow.
- Place half the cranberry sauce into the prepared terrine and top with the nut mix, press down evenly.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Turn onto a platter and garnish the top with the remaining cranberry sauce and scatter with the sage leaves.
Prep time 20 mins; total time 70 mins; Serves 6; serve weight 250g
total fat 38g
saturated fat 7.4g
dietary fibre 9.6g
vitamin C 15.8mg
total vitamin A equivalents 91.6µg
Recipe from the new cook book: carbs by numbers low carb recipe options ─ Christmas
by Sandra Dunbar and Meg Pell, PAGE 39.
Available from all good bookstores (softback); Kobo, Amazon and iTunes (eBook) and at www.carbsbynumbers.com