LEMON & CAMOMILE SYRUP MUFFINS
By GoodnessMe Box Wholefood Cook, Kara Conroy
Makes 6 muffins
- 2 cups almond meal
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup rice malt syrup or honey
- Juice & zest 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Coconut flakes to top
- 2 Camomile tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup or honey
- Zest 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced. Line a 6-hole muffin tray with patty cases or squares of baking paper.
- To make the syrup, brew the tea bags in 1 cup boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Pour the tea into a small saucepan along with the rice malt syrup and lemon zest and simmer on a medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until it reduces and forms a nice syrup.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining wet ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into bowl of dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon until a nice batter forms.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin holes and sprinkle with some coconut flakes. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tray for a few minutes, then pour the syrup evenly over the muffins and allow to soak through.