This is one of my favourite desserts…. and while it will quell even the hardest hard-core chocolate craving, it is 100% healthy. It is refined-sugar free, dairy free, gluten free, vegan and loaded with fibre, magnesium, protein and good fats! And I guarantee no-one will suspect the secret ingredient. Kidney Beans!
This delicious cake is suitable for those who have a nut, egg, soy, grain or gluten allergy. It’s also suitable for those doing one of my detox programs – nothing toxic in this baby!
- 1 x 420g can Red Kidney Beans
- 5 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 15 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pitted Dates
- 3/4 cup Cacao powder
1 tsp Baking powder
5 tbsp Coconut sugar
1 Pinch Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 x 400mL can Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon Cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
- Grind chia seeds until broken then mix with the water (this is the vegan alternative to eggs)
- Place desiccated coconut into your food processor and blend until it starts to clump together, about a minute
- Add everything else to the food processor (except coconut milk) and blend for a few mins until combined
- Spread the mixture into a lined cake tin
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until a knife comes out clean
- Leave to cool and firm up – since cake is gluten-free it won’t become firm until it’s cool
- Open your coconut milk and take off just the solid cream and leave the liquid for smoothies. Chill your can overnight if it is not separated into water and cream
- Whisk the coconut cream for a minute.
- Spread the whipped coconut cream on top of the cake
- Sprinkle on the cacao nibs or decorate with berries
- Store in fridge, and eat within 3 days (this has never been a problem)
Note: I sometimes add berries or nibs prior to cooking. And once cooked, I don’t bother with the whipped coconut cream, rather I eat warm for a goey brownie option.
You can also spread with a yummy avocado ganache. Like coconut, the plant based fats in avocado contain High Density Lipoproteins (HDL), which help reduce cholesterol levels.
For Avocado Ganache
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup honey
Blend all together until smooth and creamy. Spread it generously… Enjoy!
For another variation on a healthy chocolate cake, try this one. It is also detox-friendly!